Sunday, December 11, 2011

And so, I'm offering this simple phrase, to kids from 1 to 92. . .

Christmas is not about you.

Last Friday the company of my j-o-b held a holiday shindig in a bar somewhere in central Ho Chi Minh City. Like the graduation show this past year, the party was held at the most inconvenient time, 4:30 pm. Classes are scheduled 3-5pm. Of course some lecturers including myself raised the question of, why? would the party be held this early. And of course the company responds with, "you're allowed to leave at 4:00 pm, you can make up the time at a later date." LMBO, spsssshhhh, ummmmmmmm please explain to me when LATER would be? The last week of classes is next week. I love that they think they can dictate how I spend my time.

Any who, so the kicker (as Nicole would say) to this shindig (did you know "shindig" is a real word?) were the "Raffle" prizes, lol. As our director's way of enticing us to be there on time, he sends out an e-mail, listing all of the prizes we could potential win. As my day progressed I managed to teach my class and cut out at 4:20 pm, but since 4-5 pm is "every-Vietnamese-parent-picks-up-their-child hour" It took a good 35 minutes to get home, when I only live 15 minutes away. So by the time I got ready to head out, the party is now an hour or so finished, and I missed the glorious "Raffle" prizes, when I went outside there was not a taxi in sight (so there goes another 15-20 minutes of waiting), and the cyst on my left ovary was causing some pain, so no, I was not about to intensify that with a bumpy motorbike ride. Besides who wants to be exposed to the elements when you're all dressed up. Needless to say, I didn't make the holi-day par-tay. I later heard I missed out on winning a deluxe-type gigantic rice cooker. OMG, how I needed that :-/ I'm glad I ended up not going. It gave me energy to spend time with visiting friends. Plus, I do not feel connected to this organization. I do not support their philosophy of education, or corporate responsibility. How can you find the money to buy: a Plasma TV, gift certificates, rice cooker, cell phone, and other "Raffle" prizes, but you can't seem to find the money to pay for my HEALTH INSURANCE?!?
Something is not right.

No comments:

Post a Comment